In the College of Letters & Science, we provide a liberal arts education that is both broad and deep through excellent, empathic teaching. We hire faculty who are interested in pursuing difficult questions, making new discoveries, and making an impact in their field. We reward excellent teaching and classroom innovation, and we are committed to shared governance.
We nurture and support groundbreaking research across the spectrum of disciplines, encouraging faculty and graduate students to push boundaries and devise new pathways to knowledge. Our goal is to create a learning environment that is stimulating, joyful, and productive.
L&S offers multiple opportunities for students to expand their horizons through travel, small learning communities, and undergraduate research. Faculty and administrators in the College of Letters & Science are committed to helping students:
- Develop the intellectual courage to seek answers and pose new questions.
- Seek underlying connections across people, cultures, methods and ideas to better understand our world.
- Hone critical thinking skills to solve problems.
- Tap into and nurture their own creativity, and value that wellspring in others, in order to find solutions to complex problems, navigate a rapidly changing world, and appreciate the richness of life.
- Share their ideas in clear, coherent language and use cutting-edge digital platforms.
In L&S, we are proud of the intellectual virtues that are hallmarks of our L&S faculty and students. These include: honesty, fair-mindedness, humility, and perseverance.
But we elevate one worthy ideal above all others: the ability and desire to learn over one’s lifetime. College is a remarkable period of learning and self-discovery. Giving our L&S students the love of learning and the foundation upon which to build will ensure a lifetime of intellectual joy and success.